Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Bible Reading And Interruptions

As a mom, I often deal with interruptions in my Bible reading time. I could have easily chosen to just give up and not read during this season in my life. However, I knew how much I needed God's Word in my life so I persevered. Having five children sometimes makes it challenging to find the time when there are no interruptions. A person who is determined to do something will set their mind to do it no matter what interruptions come their way.

Bible reading for me has looked different during the different seasons of my life. When I had a very young baby and I was exhausted from being up at all hours of the night to nurse that particular child I found it difficult to rise early in the morning and read my Bible. During that time, I usually nursed a baby while I read aloud the scriptures. Another time, I took my infant and toddler and read my Bible aloud to them while my husband read aloud to our preschooler. Other times, we have the NIrV Bible on cd's that I let them listen to while I read my Bible. Currently, I am taking up the challenge of reading the entire Bible in 90 days. I get up and read for an hour before the kids get up. Just this morning, I did not get up early enough and found myself being interrupted during my hour, so I held my busy 16 month old while I finished reading aloud the chapter I was reading. Rather than try to continue my Bible reading for the day and end up getting frustrated at everyone for interrupting "my time" I just chose to be thankful that I was able to read at least half of my reading today and will read the other half probably tonight.

I hope that this helps someone out there who may also be struggling with personal Bible reading. The book that most encouraged me while I was seeking out time to have my quiet time before the Lord was Finding A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. What has helped you most in finding your time alone with God in His Word? How do you find the time to read God's Word? When are you most alert? In future posts I would like to also write about memorizing God's Word.

No comments: