Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Treasuring God's Word In Spite of Interruptions

Are you ever over ambitious and decide to try something that is usually out of your league? Well, this year I saw a challenge to read the entire Bible in 90 days and decided to jump on the wagon.  To begin with I started it one week late.  Then I have never been able to completely follow a one year plan.  Last of all, my time is very limited with 5 young children.  For the first few days I was doing well keeping up.  I was excited and telling others all about it.  Then reality hit somewhere between Exodus and Leviticus.  This was a real challenge and I could not keep up with the pace.  I specifically set aside one hour before of reading time before the children awoke in the morning.  Slowly, that time would be interrupted some days or I would not have disciplined myself to get to bed early enough the night before to get up early enough.  At first, I found myself frustrated and wondering why I even took on such an enormous challenge.  Then, I just decided that it was not worth getting all worked up over and I would just work with the time the Lord had given me for that particular day and be thankful for the time I got to spend alone in God's Word.  I try to read at night, but find myself too tired to focus so I just try to read for anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour each morning.  So far, I have gotten farther along in my Bible reading than I ever have in the past and am learning the "big picture" of it all.  I have gotten through Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, and half of Numbers, as well as Ezra and Nehemiah.  Throughout all of this I have learned that what matters is spending time daily in the Word of God.  It really does not matter if you follow a plan or read for a specified amount of time.  Don't become legalistic in your Bib;e reading.  Treasure God's Word, enjoy it, meditate upon it, and hide it in your heart.  When interruptions come make the most of them.

No comments: