Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

This Way, Ruby!

I just read This Way, Ruby by Rebecca Harry to my youngest son and realized how much it made me think about our 2nd son. This book is about a duck family that has five little duckling. Four of them are very quick and one is always dawdling behind taking her time looking at everything in her world. Her other siblings are always calling to her and saying, "this way, Ruby!" Ruby always catches up to them and then they move on. As they are on their journey one day a storm comes up and four of them get scared and lost. Ruby comes out and admits that she is scared too. However, because she has been paying attention to her surroundings she is able to safely lead them home.

This makes me think of our second child who always seems to be in a world of his own. He is fascinated by everything. He wants to know how everything works and is always asking questions. He even goes off exploring with in my limits. When we go on trips, he is the one who is looking out the window and paying attention to where we are going. He is precious, very loving, ever so curious about his world, and cuddly. I just wonder if we ever needed his help if he would be like Ruby and know exactly where we were. Do you have a child like this who also has an unusual fascination with everything in their world and test your every limits? I would love to hear your stories.

1 comment:

Hanna Holliday said...

I sometimes wish I'd be a mother but doubt if I would make a good one.. if only..

Love your writing!!

küsslein
miri