Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Home For A Muskrat

This school year we have been reading through the Little House series and today we started book #6, The Long Winter.  We read about muskrats and how they build their homes very thick if the winter is going to be long and hard.  The kids were thrilled that it was a warm day and that when they went outside they would get to make a muskrat home.  I told them that all they needed was mud, water, and pine needles.  It got me to thinking that it would be great to take them out sometime just before winter next year and look for muskrat homes and see how thick they are.


2 comments:

thechattymommy said...

That is so cool! I love Little House. Homeschooling sounds better every day! Thanks for all you share!

Anonymous said...

I read the Little House series to my kids several times. Tried to time it so we were reading "The Long Winter" during the winter time. Very good reading. Lots of good lessons about contentment, gratefulness and getting along with others. It always made me grateful for the conveniences of our modern era. Yet sometimes I wish for the simplicity of those times. Not as many choices and not as much running around town.