Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Granola Bars, Yogurt, and Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

Today, I decide to search and see if I could find a healthy recipe for granola bars using steel cut oats.  Steel cut oats have become a favorite around our house lately since I bought 50 lbs. and we eat them most morning for breakfast since I can cook them in the crock pot.  Anyhow, I found a recipe that is very versatile.  It is also tasty, healthy, and economical (using only ingredients that I already had).

Granola Bars

21/2 cups rolled or steel-cut oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup dried fruit, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. vanilla
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten (I used the whole egg)
  1. In a large bowl, mix together everything except vanilla, eggs, water, and peanut butter.
  2. Add beaten eggs, vanilla, and peanut butter.  Mix well.
  3. Add water a little at a time until mixture is just moist.  Be careful not to make the mixture too moist as it will not bake correctly.

While I was busy cooking, I decide to use my yogurt maker.  It was very easy.  I brought 7 jars of milk to boil on the stove top and then cooled it to 95 degrees and mixed in 5 Tbs. warmed home made jam with 5 Tbs. plain yogurt.  Then, I poured it all back in the individual yogurt cups and let it warm for about 10 hours and placed it in the refrigerator.  We will enjoy yogurt with blueberries for breakfast in the morning.



The final thing we made today was home made whole wheat flour tortillas.  I got this recipe from my friend Janelle over at www.financiallyfree4ever.com  This was my first time to make tortillas and they were a big hit!  I just need to figure out how to roll them out thinner with out having a tortilla press.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to take them.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! Everything looks good. Bet that food didn't last long around your place.

Unknown said...

Did the steel cut oats cook all of the way. I tried to substitute rolled for steel cut in a muffin recipe recently and they were like little rocks!

Debbie said...

They were a little crunchier, but not like rocks. Quite honestly, we switched back to rolled oats just because that was what was available at the time. The steel cut oats are a lot less crunchy if allowed to soak for a few hours. It does have a different texture than rolled and some people find it harder to get used to. Once you get used to them, the others will taste mushy.