Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

On Having A Grateful Heart

This week my husband was scheduled to go on a missions trip to Mississippi for construction work with most of the other men in our congregation, but one of our members who has cancer has been in and out of the hospital.  After spending much time in prayer and talking with the other men the decision was made that it would be best for him to stay.  It ended up being a very wise decision because our sweet member is back in the hospital again and my husband may be driving to the hospital to see her.  He is currently taking care of their home while they are away.  I am very thankful that I have a husband who spends much time in prayer before making decisions and that he is home.

Another thing for which I am thankful for is our well stocked freezer and pantry.  Because the Lord has blessed us with an abundance of food that I was able to stock up on this past summer and fall, I only needed to spend $17 on groceries this week for our family of 7.  It is my goal to not spend more than $25 a week at the grocery store over the next four weeks.

I am thankful that the Lord has allowed us to be able to purchase our I-Mac.  We had our hopes set on purchasing the Flip this week, but because of bills that needed to be payed we were unable to purchase it.  However, I am okay with this.  I am learning to be grateful for the things that I do have.  The Lord is supplying our needs and I am grateful for this.

So many times, we see things that are around us and desire them above all other things.  We should treasure Christ above all other things.  Our thankfulness should flow from a heart that is overflowing with Christ's love.  What really matters in life?  Is it that we get the latest technology available or is it that we love Christ more and more?  Are we making the most out of the things that we do have or are we complaining about the things that we do not have?  This week, I could have spent time complaining that I did not have butter, but instead I was thankful that I had shortening.  In fact, I was thankful that I have been reading, By The Shores Of Silver Lake, to my children during oral reading time.  I just read about how that  the Ingals family had surprise visitors for Christmas and how that they made due with what they had and ended up having a grand time and had more than enough.  Mrs. Boast had just asked Laura how she managed to make such good sour dough biscuits when she had no butter and very little milk.  Laura went on to explain that she took a little flour and a little warm water and put it in a bowl and covered it with a cloth and then placed a plate on top of the bowl.  When the dough was sour, it was ready to use.  She then proceeded to take out a little sour dough, soda, salt, and flour and roll them out on a board to make sour dough biscuits.  She places the scraps of dough back in the bowl with the extra flour and the starter continues.  The Little House books are full of ways to use what you have and always have a grateful heart no matter what trial comes your way.

How are you handling the trials that are coming your way?  Are you secretly angry at God that he has given you more responsibility than you think that you can handle?  Do you think that by living in a certain part of the country things will better for you and you will be content?  If so, your contentment is based upon outside circumstances and not upon the finished work of Christ.  Delight in Christ!  Make Him your true joy and contentment.  Whatever trial is in your life right now that you do not feel as though you can handle, ask God for wisdom.  He gives wisdom liberally to all who genuinely ask of Him without exception.  Just as He gave my husband wisdom on whether or not to go to Mississippi, He will give you wisdom in your trial that you may be going through now.  He is the God of all wisdom and knowledge, look to Him today and rejoice.  Be thankful for this day today.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Thank you for provoking us to love and good works, sister. I always appreciate your wisdom quest in life.

Roan said...

A couple of things...
funny that your husband had a mission trip to my state! What was he going to do? Help with Katrina aftermath? Habitat for Humanity houses?

You are so right about finding our contentment in Christ. God provides us with all that we need. Thanksgiving produces joy. The Bible commands us to Rejoice in the Lord always. Always. We can always find something to be thankful for in every situation.

about LIttle House. The Long Winter is such a sad book to me. I love all of those books. Ma worked so hard with so little. Whenever I am overwhelmed by my housework, I always think of Ma.

Have a great day!